THE DAN NORMAN FUND
Supporting Research into Addiction at the University of Oxford
The Dan Norman Fund
The Dan Norman Fund was endowed in April 2020 by David Norman (1975) and Lindzay Chan in memory of their son, who died aged 20 in March 2019 following a battle with drug addiction.
The Fund will support a series of Dan Norman Early Career Fellowships and Doctoral Scholarships at Balliol, for outstanding postdoctoral and postgraduate scientists undertaking research into addiction at Oxford in a range of disciplines, from neuroscience to pharmacy.
As part of Balliol’s Early Career Fellowships (ECF) programme, the Dan Norman ECFs will also provide tutorial teaching for students in the biomedical sciences. The inaugural Dan Norman ECF is Dr Lauren Burgeno, who came to Balliol in January 2021. Lauren is a neurobiologist with expertise in the role of dopamine and other brain systems in governing drugseeking behaviour.
Made in memory of Dan Norman
When Dan’s addiction first developed, like many others supporting loved ones we had a steep learning curve. We discovered that addictions cannot be overcome with will-power but are illnesses with causes and effects in the brain, which require further research and new treatments.
No parent can come to terms with the grief of losing a child, but as we began learning to live with Dan’s loss our thoughts turned to how we might help advance the treatment of addictions. Along with Dan’s siblings, Charlotte and Luke, we met Dr Lauren Burgeno shortly after her election as the first Dan Norman Early Career Fellow.
It means a great deal to us all that a young scientist as impressive as Lauren can now develop her research and teach a new generation of medics as a Balliol Fellow in Dan’s name.
Dr Lauren Burgeno
HOW TO GIVE: UK
Donors in the UK can make their gift either:
- Online, by clicking here, ensuring that the Dan Norman Fund is selected as the designation.
- By Post, completing the attached form, ensuring the Dan Norman Fund is written as the purpose.
- Via bank transfer or standing order, using the bank details on the final page of this brochure.
The online and postal gift forms can also be reached at:
HOW TO GIVE: USA
Donors in the USA can make their gift:
- Go to the Balliol College donation page of Americans for Oxford inc. (AFO), the University of Oxford’s primary charitable organization in the United States, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt entity recognized by the IRS.
- Complete the gift form, please check that that your gift is marked for the benefit of Balliol College.
- Under further information, please indicate that you wish your gift to supports the Dan Norman Fund.
- AFO will then provide you with a receipt for tax deduction purposes in the US
HOW TO GIVE: HONG KONG
Donors in HK can make their gift:
- Go to the University of Oxford China Office, a charity in Hong Kong under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance, who are able to issue a tax receipt and complete the paper giving form or initiate a bank transfer.
- Complete the Donation Form.
- Please send details of your gift to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can notify you once it is safely received.
HOW TO GIVE: ROW/BANK TRANSFER
To give directly to the Dan Norman Fund by bank transfer or standing order, please use the College’s bank details below:
- Account name: BALLIOL COLLEGE
- Sort Code: 403534
- Account No: 44104900
- IBAN: GB76MIDL40353444104900
- SWIFT: MIDLGB22
- Reference: [YOUR SURNAME] DAN NORMAN
Please note that the College is unable to accept completely anonymous donations. Once you have made your gift, please send details of it to email@example.com so that we can ensure your gift is acknowledged and that you are notified once it is safely received.
Contact Lindzay Chan
If you require assistance in making a donation, please contact Lindzay using the form below:
© Dan Norman Fund 2021.